A common question for sellers is if they will owe capital gains tax when they sell their home. The answer to that question: it depends. The capital gains tax law known as the Taxpayer Relief Act went into effect in 1997 but there is still a lot confusion over who pays what and why.
If you sell your home you will not have to pay capital gains tax if:
- You are selling your personal residence.
- You have $250,000 in profit or less if you are single and $500,000 if married.
- You have lived in your home for two of the last five years.
- The home is not an investment property.
The capital gains exclusion can be used as many times as you like as long as it meets all of the above criteria.
If you are going to make more than $250,000/$500,000 in profit you will be taxed at a 20% capital gains tax rate on the amount over the $250,000/$500,000 threshold.
There are exceptions to the rule. You may be eligible for a tax break if:
- You need to sell your home because a change in health.
- You need to sell your home because of a long distance relocation.
- You are in the armed services and moved to fulfill your service commitments.
Your individual tax situation may be different, so make sure to consult a qualified tax accountant or attorney.
This Single-Family in Newton, MA recently sold for $459,000.
This is a Farmhouse style home and features 6 total rooms, 2 full baths, 1 half bath, 3 bedrooms, 0.31 acres, and was sold by
Jeanne Marrazzo – New England Preferred Properties
Featured Property Slideshow
Newton ListingsNewton, MA - $725,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/13 hours agoNewton, MA - $439,950 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:13 hours agoNewton, MA - $669,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/14 hours agoNewton, MA - $479,000 - Condo - Other - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:25 hours ago
Waltham ListingsWaltham, MA - $559,800 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/12 hours agoWaltham, MA - $1,900 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoWaltham, MA - $1,900 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoWaltham, MA - $379,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:23 hours ago
Framingham ListingsFramingham, MA - $224,500 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:21 hour agoFramingham, MA - $149,900 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:11 hour agoFramingham, MA - $375,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/12 hours agoFramingham, MA - $1,650 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:13 hours ago
- Wellesley Police Log: Bump and Drive, Stop and Lie in the Grass, and More May 23, 2013The following reports were provided by the Wellesley Police Department . Charges where mentioned do not indicate a conviction. […]
- Newton Fire, Police Have New Tool for Locating Missing Individuals May 23, 2013Emergency officials in Newton will have a new tool at their disposal to help them locate individuals who have gone missing. […]
- NC17-Rated Body Cavity Possibly Used to Hide Drugs During Police Bust May 22, 2013Somerville police found bags of heroin and cocaine at 141 Pearl St. Friday after executing search warrants at the home, according to a Somerville police report. […]
- Higher ed budgets up in admin category May 20, 2013Massachusetts universities and colleges that say they're trying to hold down costs have increased their number of administrators three times faster than their number of students, according to federal data analyzed by the New England Center for Investigative Reporting. […]
- Wellesley Police Log: Bump and Drive, Stop and Lie in the Grass, and More May 23, 2013
- The day care squeeze May 23, 2013In 13 weeks, I'm headed back to full-time work for the first time since starting a family five years ago. […]
- Team Hoyt 21st Annual 5K Road Race Comes to Hopkinton May 23, 2013Father and son duo Dick and Rick Hoyt will be back in Hopkinton on Thursday, May 23 for the 21st Annual Team Hoyt 5K Road Race. […]
- Barrett Backs Asian American Commission May 22, 2013Joel Buenaventura and Chris Chanyasulkit, Members of the Massachusetts Asian American Commission, join State Sen. […]
- Man linked to Boston suspect killed by FBI May 22, 2013Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a suspect in the Boston bombings, died in a shootout with police three days after the April 15 attack that killed three people. […]
- The day care squeeze May 23, 2013
- Missing Teen Found May 23, 2013Kenny Anglemyer, the mentally ill 15-year-old who went missing Monday night after running off from the Brandon School & Residential Treatment Center , has been found. […]
- Framingham Schools to Have 4 Weeks of Vacation in 2013-14 May 23, 2013Framingham Public School students will get four weeks of vacation next year instead of three, after the Framingham School Committee unanimously approved the 2013-14 school calendar Monday night. […]
- Live Blog: 2013 Framingham Town Meeting - Day 9 May 23, 2013Framingham Town Meeting resumes at 7:30 in Nevins Hall in the Memorial Building . […]
- Senator Spilka honored by Framingham State University as Citizen Laureate May 23, 2013On Sunday morning, May 19th Senator Karen Spilka was presented with the Citizen Laureate Award at the Framingham State University graduate commencement ceremony. […]
- Missing Teen Found May 23, 2013